Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 28- A picture of you last year and now, how have you changed since then?

Here I am last year...

This was taken pretty close to one year ago. Now, I had pictures that were exactly a year ago but they had other people in them.... So, sorry if you have seen this one before. ;-)


Here I am today...


How have I changed? Oh let me count the ways. I still have brown hair and green eyes, but I definitely don't feel like the same person. I can't say that all the changes have been positive but I try to make the most of them. Aside from the obvious physical changes that have occurred, there have definitely been some mental, emotional and spiritual changes also.  


A lot of the changes have been due to the wonderful MS. My memory is shot, I get hot flashes or nauseous when too fatigued, and I get random sharp pains everywhere. I try to joke about the MS and if my brother or husband are teasing me about something I tell them that I can't help it because I have MS. Tee hee  hee. Hey, if you are going to have a debilitating disease you might as well make the most of it...right?

I seem to be a lot more pessimistic now than I was a year ago. After having pink eye consistently for 4 months, positional vertigo for 2 weeks, double vision for 2 months, MS for life, and chronic UTI's, I kind of live my life expecting the next bad thing to happen. I honestly am afraid of what terrors lie ahead of me and my husband. I guess, after getting diagnosed with MS I finally came to the realization that bad stuff happens to everyone. That God was not going to keep illnesses or disease from me. That all the other things that I considered big trials were just the beginning. I now personally know that I am NOT IMMUNE to major life altering things. 

So,  I  may be a bit more paranoid about what the future might bring, but I have discovered that I am BRAVER THAN I THOUGHT. A year ago I had a conversation with Jeff about his trial of being deathly ill with Crohns. He has suffered a lot of pain, fear, anger, and 2 major surgeries. He has been through hell. I remember telling him that I could never be as strong as him because I could never handle having a trial like that. I would never survive having a disease or being so sick. Well, LOOK AT ME NOW. I may not have had surgery, but I have been really sick, I have experienced the horrors of IV steroids, I have experienced the sensation of doom that is brought on when you are told you have an incurable disease, and I'M STILL ALIVE! I lived through the hardest year of my life!!!! I'm still here. I still have a husband. (He is a strong man.) I still wake up everyday, albeit around 1pm, but I still get up AND I put makeup on. I am moving forward!

I have also found that I no longer care about going out of my way to surround myself with people that really don't care about me. I am perfectly content with my small handful of  good friends. For the record, one of them is my husband and I can count the rest of them on less than one hand...;-)


I obviously feel a lot different physically but I also have had to restart spiritually. Last year really did damage to my foundation and my trust in the big picture. I wish I could say that the whole time my world was falling apart I knew Heavenly Father loved me, but I can't. For the past year I have been relying on my husband's testimony that my worth is great in the site of God.  I have felt totally abandoned spiritually. That has been THE HARDEST part to this entire trial. I could go on and on about this, but just know your foundation can never be TOO strong. I thought I was a strong person spiritually, but I now know I was weak. So, my foundation may have pretty much crumbled, but I still own the plot of land and, with the help of my husband, I am rebuilding.

I am slowly building myself back up, but I have taken a hit to all aspects of my being. I don't know that I will even discover the new me until a ways down the road.  However, the current major storm has passed and now it is calm. I plan on taking this year to truly work on finding out who I am NOW.   On overcoming my new paranoia, strengthening my relationships and friendships, and loving the life I have.

2 comments:

  1. This is why I brag about you. Because you are strong and worth looking up to. (AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME BEING SHORT!!!!!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since my trials started when I was pretty young, I feel like I've gradually gotten more pessimistic with each one and take life too seriously. I've lived for the longest time assuming that life was fair but have found out in the past couple years that it is not.
    Thanks for sharing your last year and what you've learned.

    ReplyDelete