Monday, June 13, 2011


It has officially been a year since I started treatment for Multiple Sclerosis. That is 52 weeks of intra-muscular shots in my thighs and a whole lot of bruising.

There have been a lot of nights I have dreaded the injections and cried out of frustration. I started out giving myself the shots and lasted about 4 months before I just couldn't do it any more. Now my wonderful husband gets to do the job.

So, it had been a year since my first MRI of my brain, and my new doctor wanted to do a follow-up MRI to see how well the medication is working. We also decided to do an MRI of my spine because MS can also show up in the spinal cord and we didn't have any baseline images.

 

Well, after a 1 1/2 hr MRI for my spine and a 30min MRI of my brain the verdict is in....

I have ABSOLUTELY NO MS in my SPINE and my BRAIN has NO NEW MS. My brain also showed that the old leisons are getting smaller. So, basically, the medication works and I am doing great!

I cannot even express how grateful I am for modern medication and technology. Without all these imaging devices and tests they wouldn't have been able to catch this disease so quickly and without all these annoying shots I wouldn't have been able to medicate it as well as I have been able to.
I feel so blessed that I have been able to find something that works for me and, for the time being, has helped get my disease under control.


4 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited, this news makes me so happy! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you Melissa! We'll keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I was so relieved when I read the reports. I am super happy and just hope that the medication keeps the disease at bay forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love happy news!!!!! *happy jig dance*
    Take THAT STUPID MS!

    ReplyDelete