Thursday, March 10, 2011

Musings from the sleep deprived.

Did I ever tell you about the time I decidedly stopped thinking Aquia Di Gio was the cologne of choice?
Well, back in my first year of college I was attending an anatomy class at USU. I had already, long before, decided that nursing was going to be my profession so I dove head first into the required pre-reques.
One of my dearest classes was Human Anatomy. SIGH That class was just fascinating. I had an amazing but difficult teacher by the name of Andy Anderson...I think..Meh, that detail isn't important.
Any way, as you could probably guess, the class required you to attend lab. This was a very helpful and hands-on way to learn about the body.
On our first day of lab we were all sitting around 'rubbing shoulders', so to speak, with a bunch of cadavers. Ah, I loved anatomy lab. There is nothing quite like the smell of formaldehyde in the the early afternoon.
I remember pushing up my sleeves and just "digging in", if you catch my drift. Everyone was having a wonderful time just getting to know the basic lay-out of our new friends and the room in general. There was so much to see!.
As I moseyed on over to a brain to get a closer look, the adorable student teacher came in and introduced himself.
Along with the presence of the student teacher there was a new scent. A very familiar but somewhat out of place scent. Then it hit me. A big strong whiff of Aqua Di Gio. Holy moly I swear the man was marinated in it. The cologne mixed with the smell of formaldehyde in a very unfriendly way. I couldn't help but immediately associate the very popular scent with the very unpopular smell of preserved flesh.
I came to understand that the only way someone could wear this amazing cologne in such an offensive manner would be to cover up the smell of gruesome preservatives that surely permeated his clothing and hair from long hours in the lab room. Unfortunately however innocent his intent was in the use of this cologne, it forever ruined me.
From that day on, any time I smelled Aqua Di Gio, I remembered that brain floating in the jar.

3 comments:

  1. I love this random post from a sleep-derived person. I also hearing and seeing the projects you take on. My kind of thing. Problem is, I never get mine all the way finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL......I'm so sorry he ruined it for you because this too is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE cologne! I had never smelled it until I met my husband and he knows that wearing a dab of it is all it takes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg this is awesome. And thanks for telling me the PERFECT Christmas present to get you guys this year!!!!! ;-) Cologne and a brain jello mold. (And yes I know exactly where to get one!)

    ReplyDelete