Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Total Knee Replacement



Today we finally made it to the long awaited and somewhat welcome total knee replacement. I think Jeff has been ready for this day for a long time. I am pretty sure he is more than ready to get his active life back. I, on the other hand, have been dreading this day since they told us he had to have it. I think I have been even more unhappy about the surgery lately because of all the stuff we have already been through in our short 3 months of marriage. I think I cried every day for a week leading up to the surgery. I was so worried about how Jeff would do during the actual surgery as well as the long recovery. I was also so stressed about how I could take care of an invalid husband for 8 weeks when I was already so tired from everything else. Well, I guess you just do what you gotta do...especially when you don't have much of a choice. ;-) Any way, back to the surgery. Jeff was in surgery for about 1 1/2 hours and did great. The Dr is suspecting Jeff to have a hard but excellent recovery and end up LOVING his new knee. Everything they said about it was positive. So far, Jeff has been tolerating the pain very well....I guess practice makes perfect. ;-) The only problem we have had at this point is getting his nausea under control. This can be so hard when you are on such intense pain meds. I am thinking by morning he should be over that hurdle. Tomorrow they will have him up and walking around the unit and then the next day he should be maneuvering stairs. It is seriously amazing how fast they get them up and functioning. I am so grateful for answered prayers and support from family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. He looks pretty happy, as in loopy, doped-up, happy. Hoping for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete