Saturday, September 29, 2012

Amber's vintage travel and airplane baby shower

It has finally come and gone. I have been working on Amber's baby shower for months now...Literally months. I think the minute I found out she was having a baby boy I started researching what I wanted to do. I came across this vintage travel idea on the Hostess with the Mostess blog and couldn't get the idea out of my mind. I had to recreate it. I just had to!! Obsessed much? Maybe just a little. 
I started frequenting ebay...often. I really got hooked on ebay bidding. I found vintage airplanes, vintage stamps, vintage luggage.... Yeah I found a lot. Good thing I love all things vintage because now I have a house full of this awesome stuff. 

I started with the invitations and can say that several of my night shifts at work were spent creating them. People at work have been asking me forever if I have finally had the shower yet because that is where a lot of my crafting happened. I think my favorite part was the vintage stamps. Seriously the envelopes were art because of all the cool stamps.

After the invitation problem was solved I moved on to menu and activites. I HATE baby shower games so I opted for having the guests decorate onesies and write "postcards" to baby Miles and 
Amber. It was a blast!



(I would like to thank Jeff and his brother Scott for making that adorable onsie display rack for me. SO CUTE! They are the best!)

For the menu I wanted everyone to have options. So, I made 3 types of cupcakes, 3 types of Smørbrød (norwegian open face sandwiches) and then some side dishes. I can honestly say that I didn't eat but everyone else seemed to be enjoying it. :-)






And of course I decorated with vintage travel books and airplanes. 






The shower turned out great and we had a wonderful turnout. 
I am not sure why but after setting up and hosting all day I passed out on the couch. When I woke up I felt so stiff and sore...kind of like I had been digging trenches. I guess that just goes to show me that hosting is hard work...but oh so fun!




10 comments:

  1. SO SO SO Adorable! Wish I could have seen it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I wish the pictures were better. Wish you could have been there. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Found this via pinterest and am doing a travel themed baby shower as well for a friend that is adopting...how did you do the signs (for the stations with the red and blue airmail paper?). I have done internet searches but can't find paper only envelopes like that. Thanks!! Super cute ideas - I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually couldn't find air mail paper any where! I was obsessedwith having it though, so I ended up printing my own. I found a graphic online that was free and printed it as a full page and then used it as a background layer on my signs. There might be an easier way out there but this is what I came up with after a crazy amount of searching.
      I hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Hi!!! I'm doing this theme as well for our baby shower! I'm so over whelmed and stressed planning my own baby shower (lol)! Can you tell me the website that you found the printable air mail paper...I have looked all over!!

      Delete
    3. Here is a link to the printable paper. Good luck!
      http://www.pixelscrapper.com/legacy/marisa-lerin/assets/airmail-striped-paper-blue-red-white-prague-image-commercial-use-digital-scrapbo

      Delete
  4. Oh you're a life saver!!! Thank you so much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI! Where did you find the vintage books? I"m doing a travel theme wedding! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry! This is probably WAY too late, but I found my vintage books on eBay and Etsy. :-)

      Delete
  6. Amber's vintage travel and airplane baby shower was so fun to catch up on. I loved watching what's going on here. At the local event space Chicago I too would be hosting a beautiful baby shower for my cousin that I would like to get planned from an expert planner. Hoping to find a good one soon.

    ReplyDelete