Monday, June 7, 2010

Steroid Treatment

On the 2nd of June I went into to the Neuro clinic and had a Lumbar Puncture (spinal tap) done. The doctor needed to test my spinal fluid to see if I had the markers for MS. There is no one test that can actually diagnose this disease. They have to do several different tests and see if the puzzle pieces fit together. In my case, they did. Two days after my, not so pleasant, Lumbar Puncture, Dr. Wilder called to inform me that he felt very confident diagnosing me officially with MS. He then informed me that he had scheduled a three day burst of steroids. I would be getting 1gram of Methyl Prednisone every day for three days....basically a butt load of steroids over a 3 day period. This is suppose to help re-boot my system and help diminish what symptoms I have so that I can start the official MS treatment and have it be as effective as possible. 




 

Day one: My first day in the infusion center they let a medical assistant attempt my IV. I have rather large veins in my hands and have never had a problem before....She attempted the largest veins in both hands...and failed. She claimed that my veins were spasming....VEINS DON'T SPASM, ARTERIES DO! Any who, after her two failed attempts the actual nurse gets an IV in me and uses a nice small needle. 
They say that the steroids can make you feel great and give you a ton of energy.... I was exhausted! The only difference I noticed during and immediately after the infusion was this lovely metallic taste in my mouth. Like I had been licking batteries. I went home and took a nap. It was nice, but I had a hard time waking up. Once I did wake up, however, I had this massive burst of energy. I helped plant some trees in the yard and I planted flowers and....I ate everything in sight. Yes that is another side effect...a ferocious appetite. I was starving! I consumed over 5000 calories, I am pretty confident in saying it was a new record. I gained 2 pounds that night.
Day two: I woke up super depressed. I cried most of the morning. It took the nurse another 2 sticks to get my IV in...It didn't help that she attempted to start an IV below the blown portion of one of the veins from the day before. Hmph! After the second infusion I felt nauseous and even more hopeless. I cried on the way home. I felt a bit frustrated because my vision didn't seem to be getting better fast enough and I have been gaining weight like crazy through this whole mess. I was determined to not over-eat like I had the day before. I drank 4 liters of water to try and curb my appetite. I only ate 1400 calories and it was torture! No weight gain!

Day three: Went down to the infusion center right after work. The new nurse blew another vein. Booo! It was ok though because I am DONE!!!!  After this infusion my vision started normalizing. I can look around me and my eyes focus like they are suppose to!!!! YEAHOOOO!!!! Also, I was really careful about drinking lots of water and watching my calories and I LOST 2.4 lbs. WOOT WOOT! I am sure that half of it is water weight but at least its something. :-)
All in all, I have 4 less veins and a ravenous appetite, but my symptoms are almost better!!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever feel like you just wanted to do the IV yourself? I'm hoping it works and that your eyes will quit being all whacky! Still lots of prayers for you guys!

    ReplyDelete